- 10 stir bars
- 10 stir plates
- 10 balances placed out on benches
- 30 L of around 0.1 M NaOH – in large carboys which are located under hood.
- 180 grams of potassium hydrogen phthalate (KHP) dried in 5 jars.
- 10 dropper bottles of phenolphthalein indicator solution
36 grams of each of the following, distributed into 4 vials labeled with numbers with a key.
- mandelic acid
- crotonic acid
- sodium hydrogen sulfite (NaHSO3)
Instructions for making solutions:
- 120 grams of solid sodium hydroxide is dissolved in 30 L of water. – PLEASE BE CAREFUL, IT GETS VERY HOT!
- Store in carboy labeled ~ 0.1M NaOH
No waste bottles are needed.
- Sodium Hydroxide – Corrosion – Skin corrosion/burns; Corrosion – eye damage; Corrosion – corrosive to metals; Environmental – harmful to aquatic life
- Potassium Hydrogen Phthalate – None
- Mandelic Acid – None
- Crotonic Acid – Corrosion – eye damage
- Sodium Hydrogen Sulfite – None