The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) maintains a web-based compendium of analytical terminology. You can find it at the following web site.
The following papers provide alternative schemes for classifying analytical methods.
- Booksh, K. S.; Kowalski, B. R. “Theory of Analytical Chemistry,” Anal. Chem. 1994, 66, 782A– 791A.
- Phillips, J. B. “Classification of Analytical Methods,” Anal. Chem. 1981, 53, 1463A–1470A.
- Valcárcel, M.; Luque de Castro, M. D. “A Hierarchical Approach to Analytical Chemistry,” Trends Anal. Chem. 1995, 14, 242–250.
- Valcárcel, M.; Simonet, B. M. “Types of Analytical Information and Their Mutual Relationships,” Trends Anal. Chem. 1995, 14, 490–495.
Further details on criteria for evaluating analytical methods are found in the following series of papers.
- Wilson, A. L. “The Performance-Characteristics of Analytical Methods”, Part I-Talanta, 1970, 17, 21–29; Part II-Talanta, 1970, 17, 31–44; Part III-Talanta, 1973, 20, 725–732; Part IV-Talanta, 1974, 21, 1109–1121.
For a point/counterpoint debate on the meaning of sensitivity consult the following two papers and two letters of response.
- Ekins, R.; Edwards, P. “On the Meaning of ‘Sensitivity’,” Clin. Chem. 1997, 43, 1824–1831.
- Ekins, R.; Edwards, P. “On the Meaning of ‘Sensitivity:’ A Rejoinder,” Clin. Chem. 1998, 44, 1773–1776.
- Pardue, H. L. “The Inseparable Triangle: Analytical Sensitivity, Measurement Uncertainty, and Quantitative Resolution,” Clin. Chem. 1997, 43, 1831–1837.
- Pardue, H. L. “Reply to ‘On the Meaning of ‘Sensitivity:’ A Rejoinder’,” Clin. Chem. 1998, 44, 1776–1778.
Several texts provide analytical procedures for specific analytes in well-defined matrices.
- Basset, J.; Denney, R. C.; Jeffery, G. H.; Mendham, J. Vogel’s Textbook of Quantitative Inorganic Analysis, 4th Edition; Longman: London, 1981.
- Csuros, M. Environmental Sampling and Analysis for Technicians, Lewis: Boca Raton, 1994.
- Keith, L. H. (ed) Compilation of EPA’s Sampling and Analysis Methods, Lewis: Boca Raton, 1996
- Rump, H. H.; Krist, H. Laboratory Methods for the Examination of Water, Wastewater and Soil, VCH Publishers: NY, 1988.
- Standard Methods for the Analysis of Waters and Wastewaters, 21st Edition, American Public Health Association: Washington, D. C.; 2005.
For a review of the importance of analytical methodology in today’s regulatory environment, consult the following text.
- Miller, J. M.; Crowther, J. B. (eds) Analytical Chemistry in a GMP Environment, John Wiley & Sons: New York, 2000.