A second part is devoted to the subject of conjugation of acids and bases. The relationship between the acidic constant Ka, basic constant Kb, and the constant of autoionization of water, Kw will be discussed. The relationship is useful for weak acids and bases.
Skills to Develop
- Give three definitions for acids.
- Give three definitions for bases.
- Explain conjugate Acid-Base pairs.
- Give the conjugate base of an acid.
- Give the conjugate acid of a base.
Contributors and Attributions
Chung (Peter) Chieh (Professor Emeritus, Chemistry @ University of Waterloo)