Work in groups on these problems. You should try to answer the questions without referring to your textbook. If you get stuck, try asking another group for help.
Define the following terms:
- First Law of Thermodynamics
- kinetic energy
- potential energy
Q2: Fill in the Blanks
- Heat gained (absorbed) is considered _____________; heat lost by system to surroundings is _________________.
- The _____________ is a metric unit of energy equal to 1 kg m2/sec2.
Q3: Heat and Stoichiometry
For heat associated for the combustion of sulfur is is 2368 kJ per mole of \(S_8\)):
\[ S_8 (s) + 8O_2(g) \rightarrow 8 SO_2 (g) \]
- How much heat is evolved when 25 moles of sulfur is burned in excess oxygen?
- How much heat is evolved when 275 grams of sulfur is burned in excess oxygen?
- How much heat is evolved when 150.0 grams of sulfur dioxide is produced?