The following two web sites contain useful information about the SI system of units.
- http://www.bipm.org/en/home/ – The home page for the Bureau International des Poids and Measures.
- http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/index.html – The National Institute of Standards and Technology’s introduction to SI units.
For a chemist’s perspective on the SI units for mass and amount, consult the following papers.
- Davis, R. S. “What is a Kilogram in the Revised International System of Units (SI)?”, J. Chem. Educ. 2015, 92, 1604–1609.
- Freeman, R. D. “SI for Chemists: Persistent Problems, Solid Solutions,” J. Chem. Educ. 2003, 80, 16–20.
- Gorin, G. “Mole, Mole per Liter, and Molar: A Primer on SI and Related Units for Chemistry Students,” J. Chem. Educ. 2003, 80, 103–104.
Discussions regarding possible changes in the SI base units are reviewed in these articles.
Chao, L. S.; Schlamminger, S.; Newell, D. B.; Pratt, J. R.; Seifert, F.; Zhang, X.; Sineriz, M. L.; Haddad, D. “A LEGO Watt Balance: An Apparatus to Determine a Mass Based on the New SI,” arXiv:1412.1699 [physics.ins-det].
Fraundorf, P. “A Multiple of 12 for Avogadro,” arXiv:1201.5537 [physics.gen-ph].
Kemsley, J. “Rethinking the Mole and Kilogram,” C&E News, August 25, 2014, p. 25.
The following are useful resources for maintaining a laboratory notebook and for preparing laboratory reports.
Coghill, A. M.; Garson, L. M. (eds) The ACS Style Guide: Effective Communication of Scientific Information, 3rd Edition, American Chemical Society: Washington, D. C.; 2006.
- Kanare, H. M. Writing the Laboratory Notebook, American Chemical Society: Washington, D. C.; 1985.
The following texts provide instructions for using spreadsheets in analytical chemistry.
de Levie, R. How to Use Excel® in Analytical Chemistry and in General Scientific Data Analysis, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 2001.
Diamond, D.; Hanratty, V. C. A., Spreadsheet Applications in Chemistry, Wiley-Interscience: New York, 1997.
- Feiser, H. Concepts and Calculations in Analytical Chemistry: A Spreadsheet Approach, CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 1992.
The following classic textbook emphasizes the application of intuitive thinking to the solving of problems.
- Harte, J. Consider a Spherical Cow: A Course in Environmental Problem Solving, University Science Books: Sausalito, CA, 1988.