When you have completed Chapter 19, you should be able to
- fulfill all of the detailed objectives listed under each individual section.
- design a multi‑step synthesis in which you may have to use any of the reactions discussed in this chapter together with any number of reactions from previous chapters.
- solve “road‑map” problems that require a knowledge of the chemistry of aldehydes and ketones.
- use evidence from any combination of infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, mass spectroscopy and chemical reactions to determine the structure of an unknown aldehyde or ketone.
- define, and use in context, the key terms introduced in this chapter.