1: What is Chemistry?
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- 1.1: The Scope of Chemistry
- Chemistry is the study of matter and the ways in which different forms of matter combine with each other. It is one of many branches of science. Because chemistry is the study of matter and matter is anything that has mass and takes up space, chemistry intersects with many of the other areas of science and with every area of our lives.
- 1.2: Chemistry in Agriculture
- Agriculture is important to all of us as it provides the food that we need to survive. Chemistry is integral to agriculture today, both in providing nutrients for healthy plants and protecting plants from diseases and predators.
- 1.3: Chemistry and the Environment
- Over the years, humans have released many different substances into the environment as an easy way to dispose of them. As our knowledge of chemistry continues to expand, we have learned that some of these substances, like lead, can have harmful effects on people and nature. Scientists now turn to chemistry to determine methods of removing these compounds from the environment to better the lives of us all.
- 1.4: Chemistry and Society
- Because matter is everywhere, many people need to have a basic knowledge of chemistry in order to understand their fields. At first glance, chemistry can seem difficult because it deals with very small particles that we cannot see on a regular basis so we don't have everyday experiences with which to make connections. In spite of this, most people can succeed in chemistry, but it often requires dedication, hard work, the right attitude, and good study habits!
- 1.5: For Future Use
- 1.6: Exercises
Thumbnail Chapter 1: Household chemicals (MPCA Photos via Flickr)