Upon completion of this module you should be able to
- Explain the basic principles, operation and application of IC.
- Differentiate between IC and other chromatographic methods.
- Explain the chemical basis for stationary phase effects and mobile phase effects.
- Predict retention order given the relative dominance between stationary phase effects and mobile phase effects.
- Differentiate between stationary phases used in anion exchange and cation exchange.
- Explain the basis for the common IC detection methods.
- Describe the general process of analyzing a sample by IC.
- Explain the rationale for using a suppressor cartridge and how it works.
- Predict the effects of overloading, eluting too quickly, eluting too slowly, baseline drift.