Skip to main content
Chemistry LibreTexts

Carbene Equivalent

[ "article:topic", "authorname:ggunawardena" ]
  • Page ID
  • If the reaction between an organic reactant and a reagent yields the same organic product as the reactant would upon reacting with a carbene, the reagent is called a carbene equivalent or carbenoid.


    I—CH2—Zn—I (Simmons-Smith reagent) is an equivalent of  :CH2.