Chemical Concepts Demonstrated
- Basicity of metal oxides
- Acidity of nonmetal oxides
- The solution turns from colorless to pink.
- As the CO2 is given off, the indicator changes from blue to green and then to yellow,
- The solution turns from blue to green to yellow.
Explanations (including important chemical equations)
Metal oxides that dissolve in water react with water to form basic solutions.
BaO (s) + H2O(l) ---> Ba 2+(aq) + 2 OH - (aq)
Nonmetal oxides react with water to from acidic solutions.
CO2 (g) + H2O(l) ---> H2CO3 (aq)
P4O10 (s) + 6 H2O(l) ---> 4 H3PO4 (aq)
- Dr. George Bodner (Perdue University)