This construction guide will help you get started with the LibreTexts platform and provide faculty with the basic skills to start building customized textbooks for their course needs.
- The LibreTexts mission is to unite students, faculty and scholars in a cooperative effort to develop an easy-to-use online platform for the construction, customization, and dissemination of open educational resources (OER) to reduce the burdens of unreasonable textbook costs to our students and society.
- Design of an Online Textbook Replacement: a Comprehensive Guide Content, Architecture, and Pedagogy as a Framework for Design.
- The LibreTexts libraries are powered by the Mindtouch system. An exhaustive set of references for the tools on this powerful system can be found online at https://success.mindtouch.com/Author/Editor. The pages below summarize a subset of these tools that are typically used in day-to-day use of the LibreTexts project.
- The pages below outlines several of the advanced skills often required for content construction and curation.
- The textbook of the future will be more than traditional textbooks of the past. The LibreText platform is designed to operate with this in mind with multiple interactive technologies available for integration to campus texts.
- A principal power of the LibreTexts platform is to facilitate easy constitution, editing, and remixing of content.
- A guiding aspect of the LibreTexts platform is not just enable faculty the freedom to construct and customize their texts as desired, but to enable multiple mechanisms of disseminating those texts to students including online, PDFs, printing professional bound books and exporting to campus Learning Management Systems (LMSs).