1. Identify each example as either potential or kinetic energy.
a. A sled at the top of a hill
b. pushing a toy car
c. an airplane sitting on a runway
d. a bullet being shot from a gun
2. Chemical energy is a specific type of ____ energy.
3. Chemical energy is best described as...
a. energy stored in chemical bonds and atoms
b. the movement of electrons
c. ionic bonds that are broken when a compound is dissolved in water
d. the neutron proton ratio that exists in isotopes
4. What is the law of conservation of energy?
5. Identify each example as either endothermic or exothermic.
a. to activate a cold pack to help with inflammation you must shake it to mix the contents which in turn cools the pack.
b. striking a match
c. burning charcoal
d. baking a cake
6. A mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gases is stable at room temperature unless a match or other heat source is ignited in the room. This ignition source will produce an immediate explosion. Which term best describes the change that occurs in this scenario?
a. chemical collisions
b. kinetic energy
c. activation energy
d. chemical decomposition
7. Imagine you are burning a log (this is a chemical reaction!). Describe what changes are needed to increase the rate of reaction for each of the following factors that affect reaction rates.
b. Surface Area
8. True or False, the presents of a catalyst will speed up a reaction.
9. What does a catalyst do to the activation energy of a chemical reaction?
10. What are the most abundant catalyst found in the human body?
1. a. potential b. kinetic c. potential d. kinetic
4. energy cannot be created or destroyed, however it can be converted from one form to another
5. a. endo b. exo c. exo d. endo
a. Concentration - add more oxygen to fuel the combustion
b. Surface Area - cut the log into smaller pieces will allow the log to burn faster
c. Temperature - if the burning log is placed in an insulated chamber then the temperature will increase, therefore, increasing the rate of reaction
Pressure is also a contributing factor to reaction rate but was not used in this example.
9. catalyst lower the activation energy
Questions provided by Kristina Novek