- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C10H20O2
- Molar mass: 172.265
- CAS Registry Number: 334-48-5
- Appearance: Decanoic acid, 99%; Decanoic acid, 99%; white crystals/unpleasant, rancid odour; white crystals with an unpleasant odour
- Melting point: 27 to 31 °C
- Boiling point: 268 to 269 °C
- Solubility: Water, 61.8 mg/L (25 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: ChemSpider (IR, 1H NMR, 13C NMR), NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, Massbank MS (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22), also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
- For the term capric as it related to music see Capriccio (music)
Decanoic acid (capric acid) is a saturated fatty acid. Its formula is CH3(CH2)8COOH. Salts and esters of decanoic acid are called decanoates or "caprates". The term capric acid is derived from the Latin "caper / capra" (goat) because the sweaty, unpleasant smell of the compound is reminiscent of goats.
Decanoic acid (IUPAC Name); 1-decanoic acid; Caproyl alcohol; Caprynic acid; n-caprylic acid; n-Decoic acid; n-Decylic acid