- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: HLi
- Molar mass: 7.949
- CAS Registry Number: 7580-67-8
- Appearance: Lithium hydride, 99.4% (metals basis); Lithium hydride, 98%; Lithium hydride, 99.4% (metals basis); Lithium hydride, 98%
- Melting point: 686 to 688
- Boiling point: Not available
- Solubility: Not available
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: Check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Lithium hydride is an inorganic compound with the formula LiH. This alkali metal hydride is a colorless solid, although commercial samples are grey. Characteristic of a salt-like, or ionic, hydride, it has a high melting point and is not soluble but reactive with all organic and protic solvents; it is soluble and non-reactive with certain molten salts such as lithium fluoride, lithium borohydride, and sodium hydride. With a molecular mass of slightly less than 8, it is the lightest ionic compound.
Lithium hydride (IUPAC Name); hydride lithium; hydridolithium