- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C18H14F4N2O4S
- Molar mass: 430.373
- CAS Registry Number: 90357-06-5
- Appearance: Not available
- Melting point: 178 to 193
- Boiling point: Not available
- Solubility: Soluble to 100 mM in DMSO and to 10 mM in ethanol
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: Check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Bicalutamide, sold under the brand name Casodex among others, is an antiandrogen that is used primarily in the treatment of prostate cancer. It is used alone or together with surgical or medical castration and is able to slow the course of the disease and extend life. Bicalutamide is also used to treat excessive hair growth in women, early-onset puberty in boys, as a component of hormone therapyfor transgender women, and in the treatment of other androgen-dependent conditions. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most important medications needed in a basic health system. The drug is available in most developed countries, It is the most widely used antiandrogen in the treatment of prostate cancer, as well as the most widely used NSAA, and has been prescribed to millions of men.