Open Step 1 and complete the activity. Answer these questions:
1. Describe the axes of the HR Diagram.
2. Explain how to read the HR Diagram.
3. How would you describe the temperature of Star A? (Comparing the stars to each other).
4. How would you describe the luminosity (brightness) or Star A? Look at Stars B through E and describe each of them.
5. Describe the location and characteristics of stars in the main sequence.
Step 2 and complete the activity. Answer these questions:
6. Which hypothesis did you choose?
7. True or false? Different stars have different masses.
8. True or false? Stars with a mass of about 10Msun will have almost all of the same characteristics as other stars bear 10Msun.
9. True or false? The most massive stars shine vert dimly in comparison with other smaller stars.
10. Copy the paragraph you wrote for this conclusion - "The majority of a star's life cycle is spent as a main sequence star"
11. Copy the paragraph you wrote for this conclusion - "Ther surface tempature and the brightness of a star changes drastically over the course of a star's life".
12. Copy the paragraph you wrote for this conclusion - "A star with a large nass will radiate more energy intospace and sppear hotter and brighter than a star with a smaller mass".
13. Copy the paragraph you wrote for this conclusion - "Smaller mass stars have a greater luminosity (brightness) than larger mass stars".
Step 3 and complete the activity. Answer these questions:
14. Does a star actually zip around the HR Diagram or through the universe like is depicted in the interactive?
15. Which star is oldest in terms of it's life cycle?
16. Which of the stars is (are) burning hydrogen as a fuel?
17. Which of the stars is (are) burning helium as a fuel?
18. Which of the stars is closest to death?
19. Which of the stars has the highest luminosity?
20. What causes the star with the highest luminosity to be the brightest?
21. Which of the stars has the lowest luminosity?
22.The star with the lowest luminosity is dimmest because of its surface temperature or size?
23. Which of the stars has the highest surface temperature?
24. Main sequence stars will become red giants when they run out of what fiuel?
25. Will the three main sequence stars ever become white dwarfs?
26. Was Stae E (Sirius B) ever a main sequence star?
27. Predict what phase Vega will enter next __________.
28. Predict what phase Betelguese will enter next __________.