Visit the US Department of Agriculture website to find the answers to the following:
- How many calories does a gram of carbohydrate have?
- How many calories does a gram of fat have?
Eat a variety of foods
- How many servings of each of the following does it recommend?
- Fats, Oils, and Sweets
- Milk, Yogurt, and Cheese
- Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs, and Nuts
- Bread, Cereal, Rice, and Pasta
Balance the food you eat with physical activity -- maintain or improve your weight
- How much moderate physical activity should you have per day?
- What does sedentary mean?
Choose a diet low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol
- What percentage of fat should you have in your diet?
Evaluation of Meal (NOT YOURS)
Total calories ____
Total calories from fat _____
Total non-fat calories ______
Percentage of fat ______
Item with the most calories (and how many calories) __________
Item with the least (and how many; exclude the drink) _______
Item with the highest percentage of fat (and the percentage) ______
Item with the lowest (not counting the beverage) ______
Transform this information into a 4-paragraph report about your findings.
Paragraph 1: An introduction including the restaurant and the meal of your choice.
Paragraph 2: A summary of your findings about your meal, including the number of calories, percentage of fat, etc. Copy and paste one of your charts into your document as supporting evidence.
Paragraph 3: Compare and contrast your meal with another student based on the information you recorded in Step 4. Give specific information about their meal.
Paragraph 4: Use the information from the Department of Agriculture to evaluate your meal. How does your percentage of fat compare to the percentages recommended? What about other guidelines (fruits and vegetables?) Have you planned a healthy meal? What changes might you make in your meal to make it healthier?