Create an account and download Fritzing
1. Open https://fritzing.org/
2. Go to “Sign up” in the top right corner and create a new user account
3. Check your email and follow the link to login
4. Look for a link to download the latest version
5. Choose one of the options. You don’t have to pay, Fritzing is an open source platform, but feel free to support the project.
6. Select the platform and download Fritzing to your device
7. Go to your Downloads folder and extract the files
8. You can leave the folder in Downloads (which is NOT recommended since you might accidentally delete it) or move it to any other location on your computer.
9. Go to fritzing.0.9.4.64.pc_and_dll folder, then fritzing.0.9.4.64.pc and find Fritzing.exe. Right-click on it and create a shortcut.
10. Start Fritzing
Downloading Fritzing Libraries
2. Download the library (Click on Code à Download)
4. Extract the files in your Downloads folder.
3. Go to the Fritzing. Click on File --> Open --> AdaFruit.fzbz
5. Wait for the library to install
6. You will see the ADA Fruit library in the “Parts” section on the right
7. Now you need to save this library (bin) so you can use it later. Click on the menu icon next to the library name à Save bin
8. Repeat steps 3-7 for Adafruit Raspberry Pi.fzbz library
Finding new parts for Fritzing
No one is perfect and you might come across some parts in Fritzing that just don’t fit the breadboard. For example, depending on the library version, your Adafruit T-Cobbler Plus could be the wrong size
1. Google “Adafruit T-Cobbler Plus Fritzing” and click on the first GitHub link
2. Download the file
3. Since the new cobbler that you just downloaded has the same part number you need to delete the old cobbler from Fritzing before adding the new one. Right-click on the part you want to delete and select Remove Part
4. Save bin and close Fritzing
5. Open Fritzing, navigate to the Raspberry Pi library.
6. Click the menu Icon next to the library name and select Import.
7. Select the new cobbler file
8. Save the bin
First circle with Fritzing
Follow the instructions from Task 3: Building your First Circuit and build your first circuit. You can find all necessary parts in Fritzing.
Resistors found in Fritzing are 220ohm by default. To change that:
1. Add a new resistor to your breadboard
2. In the lower right part of your window you can find the Inspector section that contains information about the selected item
3. Select the resistor that you added to your breadboard
4. In the Inspector section use the drop down menu next to the resistance setting to change it to 330ohm
5. The color of the bands on the resistor will change accordingly.
Contributors and Attributions
- Elena Lisitsyna