- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C11H14O3
- Molar mass: 194.227
- CAS Registry Number: 94-26-8
- Appearance: n-Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate, 99+%; n-Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate, 99+%; white crystals with little or no odour
- Melting point: 68 to 70 °C
- Boiling point: Not available
- Solubility: Water, 207 mg/L (20 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, Massbank MS (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20), also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Butylparaben, or butyl paraben, is an organic compound with the formula C4H9O2CC6H4OH. It is a white solid that is soluble in organic solvents. It has proven to be a highly successful antimicrobial preservative in cosmetics. It is also used in medication suspensions, and as a flavoring additive in food.
Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate (IUPAC Name); Butyl ester 4-hydroxy-benzoic acid; Mekkings B; n-Butyl 4-Hydroxybenzoate; n-Butylparaben