- Main ChemSpider page
- Molecular formula: C8H8O3
- Molar mass: 152.147
- CAS Registry Number: 614-75-5
- Appearance: (+/-)-Mandelic acid, 99%; (+/-)-Mandelic acid, 99%
- Melting point: 121 °C
- Boiling point: Not available
- Solubility: Water, 1.81e+005 mg/L (25 deg C), 1.1e+005 mg/L (25 deg C), 1.73e+005 mg/L (24 deg C), 2.2e+005 mg/L (25 deg C)
- Safety sheet: Not available
- Spectra: ChemSpider (1H NMR (1, 2)), NMRShiftDB 13C NMR, Massbank MS (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), also check on SDBS. Add Spectra (Help).
Mandelic acid is an aromatic alpha hydroxy acid with the molecular formula C6H5CH(OH)CO2H. It is a white crystalline solid that is soluble in water and polar organic solvents. It is a useful precursor to various drugs. The molecule is chiral. The racemic mixture is known as paramandelic acid.
Hydroxy(phenyl)acetic acid (IUPAC Name); 2-hydroxy-2-phenylacetic acid; 2-Hydroxy-2-phenylethanoic acid; alpha-Hydroxy-alpha-toluic Acid; alpha-Hydroxybenzeneacetic Acid; A-hydroxyphenylacetic acid; alpha-Hydroxy-benzeneacetic acid; dl-Mandelic acid; Hydroxyphenylacetic acid