1. Identify each of the following as alkane, alkene, alkyne, or aromatic hydrocarbon. Indicate for each whether it is a saturated or unsaturated hydrocarbon.
2. Draw and name 3 isomers of C5H12.
3. Label at least 3 functional groups on the following molecule:
4. Name the following alkane:
5. Explain what is wrong with each of the following names of alkanes:
6. Draw the structure of
- methyl alcohol
- formic acid
- a carboxylic acid with 4 carbon atoms
- an amine with 5 hydrogen atoms
7. Draw an isomer of 6e above and indicate what type of functional groups are in the compound.
8. Draw and name the ester formed by the reaction of propyl alcohol and acetic acid.
9. For each of the following polymers, indicate the type of polymer and draw the monomer(s) from which the polymers are made.
10. For each of the following fatty acids, indicate whether it is saturated or unsaturated. If it is unsaturated, indicate how many carbon-carbon double bonds it contains:
11. Draw the structure of 2,2,5-trimethyl-3,4-diethyl-4 propylheptane
12. Sketch a section of the polymer formed from the following monomer (include at least 3 monomers):
1. Draw the following alkanes:
- 2-methyl, 3-ethyl hexane.
- 2 isomers of 1a and name them.
2. Name the following compound:
3. Draw the following compounds:
- a 3-carbon carboxylic acid
- a 3-carbon ester
- Are the two compounds in 3a and 3b isomers?
- Draw ethyl acetate
- Draw the 2 products formed when ethyl acetate is split by the addition of water.
5. For each of the following polymers, indicate the type of polymer and draw the monomer(s):