Which of these molecules has the shortest bond: \(F_2^+\), \(F_2\), or \(F_2^-\)? Explain in terms of molecular orbital theory.
- Draw the bonding and antibonding orbitals in the superoxide anion.
- Which of the two molecular orbitals has more hydrogen 1s character.
- Draw the molecular orbital energy-level diagram, and write the electron configuration for the radical.
- Calculate the bond order afterward.
- Is this anion is diamagnetic or paramagnetic?
- Write the balanced chemical reaction that is catalyzed by superoxide dismutase.
- Draw the Lewis and resonance structure for \(O_3\).
- Write the wavefunction for the lowest-energy molecular orbital of \(O_3\). Hint: use the fully constructive combination of atomic orbitals.
Between pyrene and naphthalene, which molecule has a greater degree of delocalization of their \(\pi\) electrons? Hint: Google the structures if you do not know them.
What is meant by the "law of conservation of orbitals" if that terms were introduce in class regarding molecule orbitals?
If a diatomic molecule has a bond order of 2 and six bonding electrons, how many antibonding electrons must it have? What would be the corresponding Lewis electron structure (disregarding lone pairs)? What would be the effect of a one-electron reduction on the bond distance?