Work in groups on these problems. You should try to answer the questions without referring to your textbook. If you get stuck, try asking another group for help.
For each of the eight main groups (1, 2, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18) identify the following seven properties:
- Identify how the atomic radius changes as you go down the group
- Identify how the electronegativity changes as you go down the group
- Identify how the (first) ionization energy changes as you go down the group
- Label each element in the group as metal, poor metal, nonmetal, metaloid, or mostly inert
- Identify one physical/chemical property that is characteristic of the group
- Identify the origin of the name of the group
- Identify the allotropes of a key element in the group (if existing).