Welcome to Unit 7. In this unit we’ll explore non-fiction writing, specifically books that are "literary non-fiction," meaning that they use elements of literature to tell great stories.
Here are a few of the essential questions we'll consider in this session:
- How do I know when I’ve read “well enough”?
- What stays the same and what changes when I read different types of texts?
- How do I determine what information to retain, remove, combine and restate when note-taking?
- How does note-taking help me summarize and synthesize the message or theme of literary non-fiction?
- What are my options for stretching, compressing, and focusing my interpretations of an author’s message or theme? Is one option better than the others? Why or why not?
Click to the next page to begin.