Congratulations! You should be SO proud of yourself. You’ve reached the end of this unit.
In our next unit, we’ll change the pace a bit by participating in a study of literary non-fiction, especially memoirs. You will choose your own non-fiction memoir.
Here are your requirements:
- Must be a true story about a person’s life or experiences
- Must be at least 200 pages long and not a graphic novel
- Must be something you have not read before
- Must be at your reading level (preferably 8th grade reading level and up). You can look up a book’s reading level by searching the title and “reading level.” The Scholastic website is a good source for reading level information: http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/
- Must be school appropriate and parent-approved
There’s a list of best memoirs on the GoodReads website that has excellent suggestions (click on this link).
Here are a few that are recommended and would meet the requirements:
- Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt
- Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
- The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer