In this session you’ll finish the first half of your sci-fi novel, start keeping a weekly reader response journal and begin your analysis of the characters and plot. Here are a few essential questions we'll consider in this session:
- Are some questions more effective than others?
- What questions do readers/writers ask themselves to check their thinking?
What stays the same and what changes when I read different types of texts?
How do authors create the aesthetics of a literary work? How does the aesthetics of a literary work affect the meaning of the text?
Why is it worthwhile to deliberate over the language used in a text and contrast it to the domain-specific language of a critical lens?
- How do I determine what information to retain, remove, combine and restate when note-taking?
- How does note-taking help me summarize and synthesize the message or theme of literary work(s)?
- How do I know when I have done enough to prepare for small group discussions?
- When is my participation in small group discussions just right? Too much? Too little?