Feminist Literary Theory
When we examine a text with the Feminist Literary Theory, we take on the role of a feminist and how they might view the text. Feminist cirtics wish to show society:
- The errors of ways of thinking concerning women.
- That literature and society have frequently stereotyped women as angels, barmaids, prostotutes, brainless housewives, slaves, helpless ladies, or old maids.
- Women must break free from such oppression and define themselves.
View the video below to get a better understanding of Feminist Literary Theory.
When we examine a text using Feminist Literary Theory, we want to ask ourselves the following questions:
- How is the relationship between men and women portrayed?
- What constitutes masculinity and femininity according to the text?
- What are the power relationships between men and women (or characters assuming male/female roles)?
- How are male and female roles defined?
- What does the work reveal about the operations (economically, politically, socially, or psychologically) of patriarchy?
- What does the work say about women's creativity?