What is an Essay?
In our class, you will be asked to write some essays. Don't worry, not too many! Just enough to show me your writing. ;)
As such, I wanted to go over what an essay is.
Take a few minutes to review the definitions of an essay.
What is an essay?
- An essay is an analytic or interpretative literary composition usually dealing with its subject from a limited or personal point of view. (From Merriam Webster Dictionary)
- Randy Bomer's definition of an essay says that "In an essay the writer takes the reader on a journey of thought as she or her tries out an idea."
What are some things you will find in the content of an essay?
- Real life situations
- Usually realistic fiction
- Usually told from the writer's point of view
What are some text features of an essay?
- Usually told in first person
- Can be articles, books, Internet websites, blogs, and magazines
- Can have lists, bullets when listing ideas
What are some things we notice when looking at various essays?
- Some are funny, sad, emotional
- There is usually a point to be made
- Seem to be coming from personal experiences
- Are there any video essays?
- Do they all have one focal point?
Source: Genre Study Wiki/