Before we really get into conflict. We should understand the set up of stories or the plot structure. Every story we read goes through a series of steps.
1. Exposition - The introduction. This sets up the story.
2. Rising Action - what occurs leading up to the climax, or the series of conflicts or crisis that lead to the climax.
3. Climax - what is considered the high point of the story.
4. Falling Action - deals with events which occur right after the climax. These events are usually the after-effects of the climax.
5. Denouement - The conclusion of the story that reveals the resolution of the conflicts or crisis.