Seismic Waves 101
- Last updated
Save as PDF
|Read about seismic waves
- Describe a seismogram and a seismograph and why they are important in the study of earthquakes.
- Explain the difference between surface waves and body waves.
- What are the types of body waves? How do they compare?
- How is the severity of an earthquake measured?
- What is the difference between the Richter and Mercalli scales?
- Describe the differences between a "large" and "small" California earthquake.
- Describe what someone would feel standing above an epicenter with each type of wave passing by.
- What is the shadow zone?
|Watch the video on seismic waves
- How do seismic waves tell us about the layers of the earth?
- What is the difference between a hypocenter and an epicenter?
Use the attachment to organize information about seismic waves.