Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a waste product of alcoholic fermentation. In this lab you will determine which beverage causes yeast to undergo a higher rate of fermentation.
Problem: What factors affect the rate of fermentation in yeast?
Probable Materials Needed: 3 empty water bottles, 1-2 package of yeast, 2 beverages, water, 3 balloons, 30 cm of string, metric ruler
- Develop a technique using balloons and water bottles to measure fermentation rate.
- Design your experiment.
- Conduct your experiment - collecting data
- Construct a data table to record your data. Construct a graph to display your data.
Analysis & Conclusion
- Identify the following: independent variable, dependent variable, constant, control
- How did the independent variable affect the rate of fermentation? Why?
- Identify possible reasons for inconsistent result. How could you have designed a better investigation?