Before moving on to the next chapter, you should:
- Be able to draw reasonable mechanisms for reactions of the following type:
- Decarboxylation of a \(\beta\)-carboxy ketone or aldehyde
- Claisen condensation and retro-Claisen cleavage
- Hybrid decarboxylation-Claisen condensation
- Conjugate addition
- \(E1cb\) elimination
- Understand (though not necessarily memorize) the fatty acid synthesis and degradation cycles, and how the Claisen. retro-Claisen, conjugate addition, and \(E1cb\) elimination steps fit in.
- Be able to draw a complete mechanism for the Rubisco reaction.