After you have completed Chapter 6, you should be able to
- fulfill the detailed objectives listed under each individual section.
- identify the polarity pattern in the common functional groups, and explain the importance of being able to do so.
- describe the essential differences between polar and radical reactions, and assign a given reaction to one of these two categories.
- discuss how kinetic and thermodynamic factors determine the rate and extent of a chemical reaction.
- use bond dissociation energies to calculate the ΔH° of simple reactions, and vice versa.
- draw and interpret reaction energy diagrams.
- define, and use in context, the new key terms.