After you have completed Chapter 3, you should be able to
- fulfill the detailed objectives listed under each section.
- identify some of the commonest functional groups.
- write the structures and names of the first ten straight-chain alkanes.
- recognize and name the simple alkyl substituents, and give the systematic names for branched-chain alkanes.
- briefly describe some of the processes used during the refining of petroleum.
- briefly describe the physical properties of alkanes.
- draw a number of possible conformations of some simple alkanes and alkane-like compounds, and represent the energies of such conformations on energy versus rotation diagrams.
- define, and use in context, the key terms introduced in this chapter.