- Know the 5 components necessary for building optical instruments for absorption and emission studies.
Harvey, Figure 10.27
- Know the differences between continuum and line sources. Be able to give examples of each.
For blackbody radiation sources, be able to calculate the wavelength maximum at different temperatures.
- Be able to explain the differences between filters and monochromators, i.e. the benefits and inferiorities of each.
- Be able to explain the two types of monochromators. (AES web page goes into significant depth for single detector spectrometers and multiple detector spectrometers)
- Know what factors contribute to choosing the slit width of a monochromator.
AES web page goes into great depth