- Learn how to calculate the determinant of a square matrix.
- Understand how to solve systems of simultaneous linear equations using determinants.
- Learn the properties of determinants.
- 13.1: The Solutions of Simultaneous Linear Equations
- The concept of determinants has its origin in the solution of simultaneous linear equations. In physical chemistry, they are an important tool in quantum mechanics.
- 13.2: Calculation of a 3 × 3 determinant
- There are several techniques to calculate determinants, but if this topic is new to you, expanding along the first row is the easiest (although maybe not the most computationally efficient) way of doing it.
- 13.3: The Determinant as a Volume
- Before discussing the properties of determinants, it will be useful to note that a determinant represents the volume of a box.