- Learn how to calculate the determinant of a square matrix.
- Understand how to solve systems of simultaneous linear equations using determinants.
- Learn the properties of determinants.
- 13.1: The Solutions of Simultaneous Linear Equations
- The concept of determinants has its origin in the solution of simultaneous linear equations. In physical chemistry, they are an important tool in quantum mechanics.
- 13.3: The Determinant as a Volume
- Before discussing the properties of determinants, it will be useful to note that a determinant represents the volume of a box.