- Understand the structure of dislocations and grain boundaries and their role in controlling the mechanical properties of solids.
- Explain why the mechanical properties of bcc metals and alloys differ from those with close packed structures.
- Explain the effects of work hardening and annealing on structure and mechanical properties.
- Explain the mechanical properties of steel in terms of its phase behavior.
- Understand the structure and mechanical properties of amorphous metals.
How much do the mechanical properties of metals and alloys vary with processing? The answer is, a great deal.
- 7.5: Amorphous Alloys
- Amorphous metals, also called bulk metallic glasses, are materials of growing technological importance. Because their glassy structures do not support the movement of dislocations, they are stronger and more wear-resistant than crystalline metals of similar composition.