Videos to watch Liquid-Liquid Extraction
- Define the following terms and provide equations/formulas, when possible:
Distribution coefficient (DC):
Partition coefficient (DM):
- Show the relationship between DC and DM
- Compare the solubilities of ionic vs. neutral organic compounds.
- What is the effect of pH on organic acids (RCOOH) and how does it affect their separation in LLE?
- What is the effect of pH on organic bases (R3N) and how does it affect their separation in LLE?
- What is the effect of pH on neutral organic compounds and how does it affect their separation in LLE?
- Draw a simple liquid-liquid extraction setup. Make sure you label all components of the setup including the two phases.
- Illustrate a simple separation process of two solutes (a hydrophilic and a hydrophobic) using LLE.
- Devise a LLE setup to separate a sample that contains trace levels of three compounds: an organic acid, an organic base, and a neutral organic compound. The goal is to have three solutions at the end, each in methylene chloride, one of which contains only the organic acid, the second contains only the organic base, and the third contains only the neutral compound.
Contributors and Attributions
- Cevdet Akbay, Fayetteville State University (email@example.com)
- NOTE: This activity is a modification of a module titled Separation Science on the Active Learning site that was written by Tom Wenzel. http://community.asdlib.org/activelearningmaterials/separation-science/
- Sourced from the Analytical Sciences Digital Library