CHEM341. Instrumental Analysis
Exercise – Camphor and FT-IR parameters
- Previously, I collected camphor’s FT-IR spectrum using the ATR accessory under a variety of settings.
The first spectrum was collected using the parameters values below:
Number of scans: ___1___
Resolution (cm-1): ___1___
Optical speed (cm/s): ___0.4747___
Apodization function: ___Happ-Genzel____
- What happens when we change the resolution from 1 to 4 to 32 (all other parameters stay the same)?
- What happens when we change the number of scans from 1 to 4 to 32 (all other parameters stay the same)?
- Why would we also have to rerun the background spectrum after changing parameters?
- How do the following settings impact FT-IR spectra?
Number of scans:
- What factors determine the time required to collect FT-IR spectra?
Now, we’ll look at the interferogram (e.g., the raw data!)
- What do the interferogram axes represent?
- How do the number of data points in the interferogram change as resolution increases?