Skip to main content
8. Discussion Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- What is the oxidation number of gold in HAuCl4?
- What do we mean when we say that gold is being reduced?
- Obtain the particle size results from your classmates and construct a table reporting the gold nanoparticle diameter for each synthetic condition. What trends can be observed?
- Analyze all the visible spectra collected in the shared folder and expand the table constructed in part 3 to include the wavelength of maximum absorbance (λmax). What relationship do you observe between λmax and the particle size?
- What information do you obtain from a histogram of your particle diameter data that you would miss if you just looked at the average diameter?
- What are the benefits and limitations of characterizing nanoparticles with UV-VIS spectroscopy? What about with transmission electron microscopy? If you had access to both techniques, what would you use to best characterize the size of the nanoparticle and why?