Skip to main content
Chemistry LibreTexts

1.2: Safety

  • Page ID
    211983
  • Students will handle a number of chemicals during this experiment, many of which must be treated with care in order to avoid harm. None of the chemicals listed here should be ingested or allowed to come in contact with your skin or eyes. The TAs will provide additional safety information and procedures during the weekly pre-laboratory lectures for this module.

    1. Sodium Azide: Very hazardous in case of skin contact, eye contact, inhalation or ingestion. Severe over-exposure can result in death. Inflammation of the skin and eye is characterized by redness and itching.
    2. Sodium Hydroxide: Very hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, irritant, permeator) of eye contact (irritant, corrosive) of ingestion and inhalation. Tissue damage is proportional to length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact is characterized by inflammation and blistering. Severe over exposure can lead to lung damage, choking, unconsciousness and death.
    3. Chloroform: Hazardous in case of skin contact, eye contact, ingestion and inhalation. Carcinogen.
    4. Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate: Hazardous in case of ingestion and inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact and eye contact irritant and sensitizer.
    5. Potassium biiodate: Slightly hazardous in case of ingestion or inhalation. Toxic to the lungs and mucous membranes. Potential eye, skin and respiratory tract irritation. Avoid breathing vapor or dust. Use adequate ventilation. Wash thoroughly after handling. This is an oxidizer so contact with combustible material could cause a fire.
    6. Potassium Iodide: May cause respiratory tract, eye and skin irritation. Can cause digestive tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
    7. Manganese II Sulfate Monohydrate: Harmful if inhaled or swallowed. May cause eye, skin, and respiratory tract irritation. May cause lung damage. May cause central nervous system effects. Hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air). Target Organs: Central nervous system, lungs, and reproductive system.
    8. Potassium Dihydrogen Phosphate: May Cause Irritation to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. May be harmful if swallowed or inhaled.
    9. Sulfuric Acid: Extremely corrosive causes serious burns. Highly toxic. Harmful by inhalation, ingestion and through skin contact. Ingestion may be fatal. Skin contact can lead to extensive and severe burns. Chronic exposure may result in lung damage and possibly cancer.
    10. Ammonium Molybdate: Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation. Avoid breathing vapors, or dusts. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothes. Wash thoroughly after handling. Keep container closed. Hazardous decomposition products: ammonia, nitrogen oxides, and toxic fumes.
    11. Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C): Pleasant, sharp acidic taste. Stable in air when dry. Aqueous solutions are rapidly oxidized by air. Alkalies, iron, and copper accelerate the reaction. Used as antimicrobial and antioxidant in foodstuffs. Not considered toxic except in immense quantities.
    12. Potassium Antimonyl-Tartrate: Very toxic by inhalation, ingestion or contact with skin. Work under hood with good ventilation use gloves and goggles.

     

    • Was this article helpful?